Japanese fluffy pancakes
Try these out-of-this-world Japanese fluffy pancakes, with a delicious berry compote using OSU Blueberry & Pomegranate.
Ingredients for the pancakes
- 3 tbsp of flour
- ¼ tsp of baking powder
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
Ingredients for the berry compote
- 2 tbsp of OSU Blueberry
- 100g of frozen berries
- 3 tbsp of caster sugar
- 100ml of water
- Mix together the egg yolks, sugar, milk, and pancake mix in a very large bowl until it is smooth with no large lumps.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form when lifted.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the pancake batter, until just incorporated, making sure not to deflate the batter.
- Grease two 3.5-inch (9 cm) metal ring moulds and set them in the middle of a pan over the lowest heat possible.
- Fill the moulds about ¾ of the way full with the batter, then cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, until the centre of the pancakes are slightly jiggly.
- Release the pancakes from the bottom of the pan with a spatula, then carefully flip them over, making sure not to spill any batter inside.
Berry compote method
- In a medium saucepan, add the berries and OSU and heat over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly and heat for 2-3 more minutes. Occasionally press the berries, so they release more of their juices (though there’s no need to mash them fully).
- Add the sugar towards the end of the cooking time and stir well.
- Remove from the heat and either serve the fruit compote immediately or allow to cool and use later.
Want to make this recipe today? Find your own bottle of Blueberry OSU Vinegar at Amazon, or buy at your local Tesco or Boots store, on Ocado. Don’t forget to share what you’ve made on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter with #OsuRecipe.